Five Element Relationships in Traditional Chinese Medicine
In each example, the circled grey element is the Kyo and is therefore seen as the cause of the illness rather than the symptom.
Mother failing to nourish son.
In this case, treatment would be to: –
- Providing that the mother is not excessive, tonify the son then the mother.
- If the mother is excessive, sedate the mother and tonify the son.
- Alternatively, tonify the son and then tonify the controller of the mother.
Son taking too much from mother.
- Sedate the excess (the son).
- Tonify the mother.
- Tonify the controller of the son.
Controller exerting too much control.
- Sedate the excess element.
- Tonify the Controlled element.
- Tonify the Controller of the excess element.
Controlled element rebels against/insults the Controller.
- Sedate the Insulter.
- Tonify the Insulted.
- Tonify the Insulted’s parent
When using the Five Element theory it must be understood that the Kyo/Jitsu methodology of working is still valid – as Kyo/Jitsu are in an energetic relationship, you can find area of Kyo within an excessive (Jitsu) meridian, and areas of Kyo within a deficient (Kyo) meridian. To confirm the relationship use palpation, treating and listening, and find the connection.
- When treating a deficiency problem, look at the Sheng cycle to create/boost energy. On the Sheng cycle, deficiencies occur when the parent is not feeding the child, or when the child is taking too much from the parent.
- When treating excess, look at the Ko cycle
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Symptoms and observation.
- Diagnosis from Hara etc., using kyo and jitsu.
- Recognise the relationships between (a) and (b).
- Make up a composite diagnosis.
- Use Five Element theory to decide what meridians should be treated.
- Prepare treatment plan.
HT jitsu – Emotional problems.
Internalisation causing emotional problems, with an inability to let go.
Tonify BL (Ko for HT).
Working down the body, tonify ST (Sheng for LI) and LI.
HG jitsu – Emotional protection.
Lack or over control, with an inability to make decisions, leading to emotional problems.
Sedation of HG.
Tonify Water, KD (Sheng for LV) and BL (Ko for HG).