A, simple, guided meditation
I have used this guided meditation with many of my clients who, like many of us, suffer from the daily stress that life can bring. It is not always possible to take time out (holidays) in order to get away from these stresses but respite can be found, along with increased energy, through simple meditation.
Initially used as a guided meditation, it is an easy path to follow and soon the guide is no longer required. A simple exercise that takes up little time yet has amazing results. It is a real treasure.
- It is a warm summer day, a perfect day.
- You are in the terraced garden of large country house where there are people sitting, sunbathing or strolling.
- It is peaceful and quiet – everyone here has come for a rest and are quietly appreciating the beautiful surroundings and you, like them, are listening to the bird song.
- As you walk across the lawn you can feel the grass under your bare feet. It is a comforting feeling.
- Ahead of you, you see a broad stairway that leads down to the next terrace. There are seven stairs.
- As you descend each of them you become more relaxed and your breathing becomes deeper and effortless.
- This terrace is quieter, with fewer people.
- As you walk across the grass, you become aware of a high wall that has ivy and honeysuckle growing on it.
- You know this wall well. It surrounds a secret garden and you have the only key. It is your garden, your secret place, where you can sit in peace while you relax and recharge your batteries.
- As you get closer, you can see your secret door.
- Unlocking and opening the door, you enter a magical space with trees and plants of every kind.
- The trees provide a canopy of shade with dappled sunlight beaming through.
- You see your favourite tree and walk over to it, sitting down and resting your back against it. It is like an old friend who brings feelings of warmth, comfort, and safety.
- Sitting here, you feel the gentle spots of sunlight that have slipped through between the leaves, gently resting on your skin.
- Can you feel these small areas of heat?
- Each of these spots of sunshine contains a smile for you. A smile that radiates through your whole body.
- Allow yourself to spend some time here.
- Feeling rested, you decide to walk deeper into the garden
- With each step you feel lighter, more at home
- You become more aware of the scent of the flowers, the colours, the shapes.
- You hear the birds singing clearer than you have ever heard before.
- You hear a buzzing and look over to see a honey bee moving from flower to flower. We often think about busy bees and how they move from plant to plant, working away. And often we think of ourselves moving through life in the same way, creating aims/goals and struggling to achieve them. But, look again at the bee. It is not frantic. It looks almost aimless as it goes about its work. It meanders through life but still reaches its goal – it makes honey and honey makes it content………….happy. The flowers, in themselves, are not goals. There are points that the bee passes through to achieve its happiness.
- You hear yourself. You hear your positive, happy inner thoughts. Each of these is a treasure to be held on to, to be nurtured.
- Take your time to explore the garden, yourself and your thoughts. Feel the energy entering your body, mind and spirit. Enjoy!
- It is time to leave your secret garden now. But it is always here for you and always easy to reach. Remember, just across the lawn, down the seven steps to the quieter terrace and then a short walk to the door that only has one key. Your key.
- You are now leaving the garden, shutting the door behind you, and slowly walking back up the seven stairs that will bring you back into this room.
As you come back into the room, I want you to bring some movement back into your hands and feet by wiggling your fingers and toes. Then, slowly, open your eyes.